Black Hereford History & J&N Ranch, LLC.
Lineage of Black Hereford cattle breed traced to J&N Ranch
- The first Black Hereford was born in 1997 and was named "BJH Balder 7504." "BJH" for Blue Jacket Herefords whose owner had the idea to incorporate the association back in 1994, and "Balder" for the bloodline of J&N Ranch's Black Hereford breeding. After starting their Black Hereford herd, the Hoaglands began the approval process to establish Black Herefords as a separate breed of cattle.
- In 2000, the pedigree and performance records which were previously all hand-written were computerized by Norma Hoagland.
- In 2003, after several attempts, Black Herefords received the international breed designation of "HB" as a separate breed of cattle and for labeling semen worldwide. That same year the Hoaglands sold their first registered Black Herefords and opened the American Black Hereford Association to other breeders by selling memberships.
- In 2005, the American Black Hereford Association published their first EPDs on four basic performance traits.
- In 2011, the Hoaglands moved the American Black Hereford Association headquarters from their ranch in Leavenworth, Kansas to a new independent location in Kansas City, Missouri.
- In 2012, the Hoaglands published the first Black Hereford magazine known as the Black Hereford Journal.
- In 2015, after years of data collection on their cattle, the Hoaglands expanded the J&N Ranch EPDs to include over 15 genetic traits to measure the performance, maternal, and carcass merit of their Black Hereford cattle.
- Today, there are breeders in most states, Canada and Australia. There are three associations registering Black Hereford cattle and all of them trace their origins back to J&N Ranch.
Join us for our Upcoming Cattle Production Sale on Saturday, October 8, 2016
Females, Selected Bulls, and Horses
DOWNLOAD the Fall 2016 Production Sale Catalog.
WATCH videos of our Fall 2016 Production Sale Lots.